I decided to visit a company in Bromölla that are selling motorhomes and check out what’s new. And then I contacted the motorhome- and caravan association to get some statistics and this is what I found out.
Sweden is the worlds largest caravan country
Bromölla Husbilsexpo (where we bought Nelson, our motorhome) have already broken their record when it comes to selling motorhomes. They are selling like crazy and are even positive to the fact that the Swedish summer is crappy this year.
– The worse weather, the better it is for us. When it is raining people come here and look at motorhomes instead of going to the beach
, says Marcus Dolata, the owner of the company.
And when asked what is “hot” right now he says that there is nothing special that people choose right now. According to him, all kinds of motorhomes are of interest to the Swedes.
Sweden is the second largest country in Europe in motorhomes
Motorhomes are getting more and more popular by the minute. In Sweden, there are 81 motorhomes per 10 000 inhabitants. Finland has the first place with 96 motorhomes per 10 000 inhabitants. The funny thing is that Finland borders to Sweden so it is pretty close.
It looks like the nordic countries hold the majority of motorhomes.
And when talking to one person at the caravan club here in Sweden he said that the whole industry is having a record this year. He said that the reason why there are so many caravans compared to motorhomes was that the motorhome is a quite new thing. The motorhomes have only been on the market for a shorter period of time compared to the caravans.
Fun Facts about Swedens Motorhomes and caravans
- Caravans have stabilized in Sweden but there are 300 000 caravans registered in the Country.
- There are 90 000 motorhomes registered in Sweden right now (2017).
- Sweden has most caravans in the world compared to the inhabitants. There are 289 caravans per 10 000 inhabitants.
- The Netherlands has the second place with 273 caravans per 10 000 inhabitants.
- Motorhomes are at the second place in Europe.
- There are 81 motorhomes per 10 000 inhabitants in Sweden.
- Finland has the first place with 96 motorhomes per 10 000 inhabitants.